Ishrat Jahan, one of the petitioners in the triple talaq case, who joined the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Sunday said heaped praises on Prime Minister Narendra Modi for bringing the triple talaq bill. "Modi ji made a revolutionary law in the interest of victims, I was very happy. I will work in the party's women wing," Ishrat said soon after joining the party. Ishrat was reportedly felicitated by the Howrah BJP unit and inducted into the party. BJP state unit general secretary Sayantan Basu said a state-level programme to felicitate her will be organised.
Ishrat was one of the five petitioners in the triple talaq case. Her husband had divorced her over the phone from Dubai in 2014 by saying 'talaq' thrice. The controversial Islamic practice was struck down by the Supreme Court on August 22.
- Nine months after switching to BJP, Arvinder Singh Lovely makes Congress ‘ghar wapsi’
- FIR against Youth Congress leader and NA Haris's son Mohammed Haris Nalapad for beating up man in Bengaluru restaurant
- Maharashtra schoolgirls to get sanitary pads for Rs 5 under 'Asmita Yojana'
- Zainab rape case: Pakistan court announces four death penalties for accused Imran Ali
- Red light district thrives on LinkedIn India
- Which is a better Xiaomi midranger — Mi A1 or Redmi Note 5 Pro
- Amitabh Bachchan’s job application to work with Katrina Kaif and Deepika Padukone is hilarious
- Eating Yogurt May Reduce Risk Of Heart Diseases
- Another PNB-Like Scam? Rotomac Pens Owner 'Flees' After Taking Rs 800 Crore from Govt-run Banks