Added on : 2019-12-15 16:40:19
New norms to take effect from Dec 16; porting to be made fast, simple. The telecom regulator will generate a Unique Porting Code (UPC) only when a subscriber is eligible to port his/her mobile number. Trai will decide whether a customer is eligible for a mobile number portability or not. The telecom regulator will charge ₹6.46 as transaction fee for each porting request.
Here are a few conditions that Trai has listed:
- Those who use post-paid service have to clear the 'outstanding dues' of the current telecom operator for the issued bill according to the normal billing cycle.
- User will have to use the active connection of any mobile operator for at least 90 days.
- Your number will not be eligible for portability if you have already made a request to change the ownership of your mobile number.
- The porting of the mobile number should not be prohibited by the court of law.
- If your mobile number is sub-judice, you won't be able to port it.
- "There should not be any pending contractual obligations to be fulfilled by the subscriber as per the exit clause provided in the subscriber agreement," said Trai.